Saturday, April 12, 2008

I was hurting...but it didn't slow me down...

Campaign 4 Life Blog

I was hurting on day six, but it didn't slow me down any. I had a day full of actions waiting for me set up by my confidant, my dear friend Sonia of Poetic Images. The day started off at LaPlata Beach on campus of the University of Maryland. I got to perform a couple of songs then speak to 150-200 high school students involved in a future Leaders program. I felt this to be vital. To hand the truth over to these young men and women that have already dedicated themselves to becoming our future leaders. Everyone at this event agreed that the death penalty has no place in a civilized society.

Here I was joined by Bill Pelke of the Journey of Hope. Bill flew all the way from Alaska to join me for a few days on the walk. He was joined by Abe Bonowitz of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, Issac Bonowitz and Beth Wood. I met a lot of great people. The support was amazing.

As the sun started to go down, DJ RBI of WPFW 89.3 FM/Pacifica Radio started to pump up the sounds at the Nyumburu Amphitheater. A host of student emcess and poets came together to perform, support and help spread the word. Performers ranged from high school students to Source Magazines Unsigned Hype Akir Viper/Koch Records. The energy was high, it was just the medication I needed to prepare me for my Journey of Hope.

After party was at WMUC FM 88.1 Beauty and the Beatbox hosted by Cybille Ciel was off the chains. I got to perform a couple songs and then talk about the walk and the cause live on the air and for the 20 or so students that had gathered inside the studio. It was very powerful I am grateful to have had such a positive day for the movement. I was amongst hundreds of people all day and did not meet one pro-death penalty opinion. So why do we still kill our own citizens? It's time to organize people.

This day for me was really important. I wanted to make a big impact on Maryland because they are so close to following New Jersey and doing away with this barbaric act. We need to continue to apply pressure. I urge everyone to contact Abe Bonowitz The Director of Affiliate Support National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty on how to register, organize and get involved in the movement.

Capital "X"

No comments: