Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bill Pelke: My trip to join X

Thanks to Journey of Hope supporter and friend of mine, Dirk Sisson of Anchorage, Alaska, I will be flying from Anchorage to Dallas, Texas on May 20 to support Capital X’s Walk 4 Life.

I will be providing roadside assistance, offering whatever help Andre needs to finish his walk to Austin, Texas. Capital X will be walking into Austin on May 25th with a group of supporters and head to the Governors Mansion. X has a stack of petitions calling for a moratorium on the death penalty that he hopes to present to the Governor.

Since it is the Memorial Day weekend it is not known if Governor Perry will be in town or not, but who knows, he may be hosting a barbeque for friends and invite us for dinner. (not).

On Monday the 26th, Memorial Day, there will be a rally at the State House. Capital X’s 1700 mile walk will be over at that point but his journey will continue. He will then travel to Livingston where Texas houses it’s male population and will remain there for several days.

On March 29 X will head to Houston and join up with Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty Founder, Dave Atwood, on the 29th where activities are planned for the 30th. X then heads to Huntsville, where executions in Texas take place, for a rally on the 31st. After spending a few more days in Livingston on 2nd and 3rd of June, X will head west for some more events in Austin and then on to New Mexico.

I will return to Dallas, turn in my rental car and head back to Alaska on June 4th. When I joined X in Maryland near the start of his walk I was able to stay with him through DC and about 100 miles into Virginia. It was a great honor for me and I was doing what I felt my calling in life demands, and that is to be a foot soldier in battle for abolition.

I greatly look forward to rejoining X in Texas, the killing field of this country, for yet another battle. I know it is a war we will win some day.

Any donations to the Journey of Hope will be used for in state transportation costs while in Texas and for food and lodging. To make a donation the easiest way is to click The Donate Now button.

No comments: