Monday, June 16, 2008

Jeff Wood and his family

Whenever I think of the families of men or women on death row there is this cold shiver running down my back: I don't even want to try to imagine how awful it must be for them to know that their loved one will get executed somewhen sooner or later, how desperate they must be when they learn that a person they dearly love has a date with the executioner!

When thinking of the death penalty, most people just think of the person on death row but they forget that these people have families and friends, too. And not only the condemned gets punished but this is torture for their families as well. Torture to absolutely innocent people. Is this really acceptable?

Jeff Wood has an execution date for 8/21/08. His family is fighting for his life. The following letter was written by his sister:


Hello.

My name is Terri Been and I am a Texas republican who is AGAINST the death penalty. I am sorry to say that it was not always this way as I was raised to believe in the death penalty; BUT my views changed over 10 years ago when I was thrust unwillingly into the Texas Judicial system; at which time my eyes were opened to the complete injustice of our whole system.

See, I am the sister of a man wrongfully convicted under the law of parties in Texas. This man's name is Jeffery Wood and he is set to die on August 21st, 2008 for a murder he did NOT commit.

I am writing to you because I am feeling helpless, and I do not know what I can do.

Please click here to read the rest of the letter.

And can you imagine how Paige, Jeff's daughter, must feel? Here is a poem written by her:


Waiting

I sit and wait
…And wonder.
I have been waiting my whole life
All the time wondering…
Is my daddy coming home?

Will I ever get to see him?
Touch him?
Hold his hand?
Or ever hug him tight?

Will I ever get to sit in his lap or
Talk to him face to face
Instead of through the pane of glass
That messes with my brain.

Sometimes at night
I find myself
Waiting by the door
Just hoping that this is all a bad dream
And he will simply
Walk through the door

I need for him to
Tuck me in
And ask me about my day,
Then read me a bedtime story
While my worries drift away;
Then say a little prayer for me,
My friends and family
Then all the other boys and girls who are hurting
Just like me.

I am daddy’s baby girl, and even though I am 14 years of age
I'm secretly still 3 years old
waiting for my daddy to come home.


Please click here to sign the petition for Jeff Wood

1 comment:

Terri Been said...

My brother, Jeff Wood, is set to be executed by the state of Texas on August 21st for a murder he did not commit.
The peron who commited the murder was executed by Texas in 2002.
Please help us fight to save his life. He is a beloved husband, father, brother, friend, and son.